Community Respite Care Bed during the Covid Pandemic
Our Community Respite Bed is being gradually reintroduced, with strict protocols in place. It will be situated in our Covid Isolation Unit and will be offering up to 14-day respite breaks to those who need 24/7 dedicated care.
- Applicants will need a confirmed negative Covid test before entering the Unit.
- A pre-admission assessment will need to be completed with the Deputy manager by telephone.
- Respite residents will be isolated during their stay, with all care and meals taken within their room.
If you would like to discuss eligibility for a stay in the Community Respite Bed please contact our Deputy Manager on 01434 633 999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Since the loss of the GP beds in 2014 we have had regular feedback that the respite service is missed by local people.
In 2015/16 the Charlotte Straker Team planned a brand new Community Respite Care Bed and after the local community raised the £132,000 funding required we are able to provide one free of charge community respite bed for local people to provide respite for carers/hard pressed families. This community respite care bed is now part of our core service.
Each respite room costs CSP ~ £49,309 per year to provide.
About our Respite Care Service
Charlotte Straker has set aside one room to offer a short-term respite care package, subject to availability, for either nursing or residential clients who do not require long stay or permanent admission to a care home.
This room is fully equipped and on the ground floor in the Graham Grant wing.
Who will be eligible?
- Age 65 or over. If the client is younger then staff will seek CQC approval.
- Those who need care at home and cannot be managed easily without the main carer(s). To provide support for those carers who give personal care.
- This may include clients with long term conditions, and /or disabilities. e.g. chronic neurological illness such as Parkinson Disease, Multiple Sclerosis and others such as Stroke, COPD, diabetes, cancer.
- The frail and elderly are eligible.
How much does it cost?
There will be no charge for short stays in this community respite bed. The monies needed to fund this service will in part been raised by the charity through fundraising events, part of the regular donations by ‘Friends of Charlotte Straker’ and donations from the local community. These efforts will continue to ensure future funding of the respite bed. We are happy to receive any donation of whatever size to support this service. Any donations will be channelled back into funding the respite service.